Here are some of the well know examples for this style
1. Simula 1 – It used co-routines (called activities) and queues to model long running simulations. Simula 67 replaced activities with classes among other things.
2. Unix – Has pipes and daemons to model data transformations and periodically recurring jobs
3. Microservices / REST / CGI / mod_php – uses long running services to model distributed business processes
4. Actor Model – Uses light weight threads organised in supervisor trees to model reliable software
5. Entity Systems – Uses a shared memory, relational database approach to model data called entities, that are then efficiently processed by long running processes called systems that run for every game tick
6. Messaging Systems – Typically uses long running processes to decouple complex systems
7. Stream Processing – Typically uses long running processes to serve large binary data for videos or event streams for example
8. State Machines – Most well known use is in modelling internet protocols with polling, asynchronous events and long running event loops.